| Abbey Theatre
| Assistant Producer
| 26 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1
| Michelle Sheridan
| 30th March 2012
| Send Message
|«Back To Jobs
JOB TITLE: Assistant Producer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of the Theatre
The Abbey Theatre is Ireland’s national theatre and occupies a unique position in the hearts and minds of Irish people. It has two theatres: the Abbey, with a capacity of 492 seats, and the Peacock, with a capacity of 127 seats. The Abbey produces a year round programme of productions, public readings, special events, workshops and artistic development work. We commission and produce work on our stages and on tour, which not only showcases Irish and international theatre but also engages with the artistic and civic life of contemporary Ireland.
The Abbey Theatre toured extensively nationally and internationally in 2011. The national theatre completed a 15 venue national tour, with the award-winning, B for Baby by Carmel Winters which also visited the Tampere Festival in Finland. Abbey Theatre productions visited three continents last year; John Gabriel Borkman (BAM) and Mark O’Rowe’s Terminus toured to the Australia, the U.K. and the U.S. Our productions are regularly invited to tour nationally and internationally.
PURPOSE OF JOB
This is a newly created position in order to implement our national touring strategy; to support the visits of independent companies to the Abbey Theatre; to support our international touring producer and to manage Special events. The Assistant Producer will report directly to the Director/CEO of the Abbey Theatre but will working closely with the Senior Management Team, our International Touring Producer and all the heads of the relevant departments.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
1. Plan and produce national tours of Abbey Theatre productions, including negotiating, contracting, managing settlements and payments with all venues.
2. Support all aspects of international touring of Abbey Theatre productions, including obtaining relevant details of venues to assist the production process, the design team and production department; booking travel, arranging accommodation and per diems when appropriate for all involved in the production and managing all aspects of visa applications, where relevant.
3. Act as liaison, between touring venues and the Abbey Theatre, as and when required, maintaining and developing strong relationships with venues.
4. Manage and contract all visiting companies and artists to the Abbey Theatre
5. Act as liaison, on behalf of all departments, for all visiting productions, performers and creative teams in conjunction with the Director's office
6. Produce and manage special events at the Abbey Theatre
7. Support the fundraising and public affairs objectives of the Abbey Theatre.
8. Liaise with State agencies such as the Arts Council and Culture Ireland with regards to touring applications and evaluation reports
9. On tour, act as the primary contact for venues in the management of ancillary talks, post-show discussions, workshops and assisted performances (audio-described, captioned etc.).
10. Manage all insurance-related matters for productions on tour.
11. Carry out any other duties which may be required from time to time
The suitable candidate should have the following experience:
• Experience of producing theatre in Ireland demonstrating a good working knowledge of this process
• Be able to demonstrate a high level of knowledge and experience of touring productions in Ireland
• Understanding and knowledge of the international touring environment
• Experience of budget planning, cash flow projections and financial reporting with a proven track record in managing these areas to a high level
• Knowledge and interest in Irish theatre
• Experience in contract negotiations with venues, artists and literary estates
• Experience of scheduling
• Knowledge of the production process
The following would be desirable but not essential:
• Knowledge of casting
• Knowledge and understanding of the funding environment
• Knowledge and experience of fundraising
Director, Senior Management Team, Production Department, Communications Dept, Community and Education Dept, Casting Dept, Finance Dept, Literary Dept
Independent Theatre Sector, Theatre and Arts Centres in Ireland, Agents, the Abbey Theatre’s international touring producer, international promoters and venues
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Post: This is a 3 year Fixed Term Contract with the Abbey Theatre.
Hours: Standard hours are 09.30 to 17.30 with an hour for lunch.
This post requires attendance at performances, travel and events outside of normal hours on a regular basis.
Annual Salary: Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Probationary period: The probationary period will be for 6 months
Holidays: 24 days per annum (including Good Friday & Christmas Eve)
Public Holidays: 9 Public holidays per annum
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA) and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary.
Employees must contribute a min. of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Health Insurance: Employees are provided with the option to join the Abbey Theatre – VHI Group Scheme. Participant employees receive a 10% discount on any VHI plan and the subscription is deducted through payroll.
To apply, please send an up to date CV, and a cover letter outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute, to:
26 Lower Abbey Street
Or alternatively email: Send Message
The closing date for applications is 5:30pm on Monday 16th April 2012
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer.
Apply Now / Email: Send Message
Deadline: 16th April 2012