24 October 2019 The Irish Film & Television Network
Actors
TV
Crew
Digital
Distribution
Education / Training
Equipment
Festivals / Markets
Finance
Legal
Locations Ireland
Post Production
Production
Rep Bodies
JOBS FILMOGRAPHY NEWS WHO'S WHO DIARY GALLERY IFTA
     
Locations Ireland
Search By Region
Search by Type
Studios
Location Services
Ireland Facts
Tax Incentives
Co-Production
Local Film Commissions
Crewing
Actors
Locations News
What's In Production
Film & TV Studios
Site Map
IFTN HOME

Irish Film and Television Network

 »

Locations Ireland

 »

Search By Region

 »

Dublin

 »

Dublin Film Locations



Palmerston

CONTACT:   Rosaleen Dwyer Heritage Officer ADDRESS:  Palmerston South Dublin County
PHONE:  +35314149000 FAX: 
EMAIL:   rdwyer@sdublincoco.ie  WEB:  www.southdublin.ie

 
The village of Palmerston, located near the River Liffey, about 8km west of Dublin City Centre, is relatively modern, but some old features still survive.

Stewart’s Hospital is located in Palmerstown House, a stunning property built in 1763 by John Hely-Hutchinson, later Provost of Trinity College and Secretary of State.

At the corner of Mill Lane is an old coaching stables where the mail coaches used to stop, now with the front entrance and windows blocked up. Within the enclosed yard there is an open arched area which gives the place a rather quaint old world appearance. In the 19th Century, its position on the Liffey meant that Palmerston had a thriving mill industry. Evidence of this can be seen in the remaining mill buildings on Mill Lane, and the nearby quaint cottages built for the mill workers.

Overlooking the Palmerston Mills is a very ancient burial ground in which are the ruins of a church. It is a fine example of the earliest type of nave and chancel church built before the Norman invasion and probably dating from the tenth or eleventh century. A little upstream of the mills at Palmerston there is a prominent white bridge crossing the Liffey at a great height above the road and river. This was built about 1881 by Lord Iveagh to convey water across the Liffey in order to supply his house, Farmleigh.

Today, Palmerston is a quiet, sleepy village but is easily accessible from the M50 and from Dublin City Centre and the West via the N4. It is also adjacent to the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre. 


« Go back


 
 the Website  Directory List  Festivals  Who's Who  Locations  Filmography  News  Crew  Actors
 

Contact Us | Advertise | Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Security & Privacy | RSS Feed | Twitter